Halloween is on Wednedsay October 31st this year. Emergency rooms often see patients that have been burned on Halloween. Costumes may be made from a flammable material and candles in pumpkins and luminaries are found all over on Halloween. Here are some tips to help keep you and your family safe while Trick or Treating.
When purchasing costumes, masks, beards and wigs, look for flame-resistant fabrics such as nylon or polyester, or look for the label “Flame Resistant.” Flame-resistant fabrics will resist burning and should extinguish quickly. To minimize the risk of contact with candles and other fire sources, avoid costumes made with flimsy materials and outfits with big, baggy sleeves or billowing skirts.
Keep candles and Jack O’ Lanterns away from landings and doorsteps where costumes could brush against the flame.
It is always important to never leave an open flame unattended. Remember to have fun and keep these safety tips in mind in order to have an enjoyable holiday.