Fresh ginger that was imported from China and distributed to stores in California may be tainted with aldicarb sulfoxide. The aldicarb sulfoxide was used as a pesticide, but it can be harmful if ingested by humans. Food poisoining symptoms associated with aldicarb sulfoxide can mimic the flu and usually appear one hour after eating.
According to the CDPH, the product is known to have been distributed to Albertson’s stores and Save Mart stores in northern California by Christopher Ranch of Gilroy, Calif.
CDPH and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration are tracing the imported ginger from the importer, Modern Trading Inc. in Alhambra, Calif., to determine the full distribution of the product and to identify other retail stores that may have received the product, according to the CDPH.
If you are experiencing any flu-like symptoms or worse after eating fresh ginger, then you should contact your doctor right away. No one has reported aldicarb poisoning, but the CDPH is asking people to discard any fresh ginger.
For more information on this subject, please refer to our section on Defective and Dangerous Products.