There has been a rash of birds falling ill and dying from a naturally occuring domoic acid poisoning and California health officials have issued a warning against eating certain seafoods. Domoic acid can be found in shellfish and fish caught off the southern California coast.
The seafood warning pertains to bivalve (two-shelled) shellfish such as oysters, clams and scallops, as well as anchovies taken off the coast of Los Angeles, Orange, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura counties.
The warning applies to seafood caught from shore and boats.
The fishing season for some of the creatures covered by the warning is ending. But other species now quarantined, such as mussels and Pismo clams, are harvested throughout the year, according to state sportfishing regulations.
Signs of domoic acid poisoning in humans can happen up to 24 hours after injesting it. They include diarrhea, cramps, vomitting, dizziness, and headache. Severe cases can lead to coma and death. Please contact your doctor if you think you have domoic acid poisoning.